Monday, June 21, 2004

total war?

This whole Anonymous discussion is making my brain hurt: Political Animal (could it be because I spent the whole weekend playing Thief 3 and now when I shut my eyes the world feels like it's off its axis?)

I have to admit I've had a hard time wading through Anonymous' argument. I was one of the many who thought he was arguing that total war was our only option--if we choose to press forward rather than bowing out. But this dialog between Kevin Drum and Spencer Ackerman contradicts that impresson.

Well, I suppose holding out for a complete withdrawal into isolationism wasn't really a viable option anyway, since no one currently in power would ever do that. And I have to say that, angry as I am with them at the moment, the idea of abandoning Israel to its fate is unpalatable. (I started to say the same thing about the Kurds, but I'm not convinced that, without the US whispering sweet nothings in their ears, the Kurds might have what it takes to grab the whole region.)

But this is a depressing thought. The only bright spot is that energy self-sufficiency is starting to look like a good plan from all sides. It may be the that 2004 election finally comes down to whether our future is spent drilling for new oil, or coming up with alternative sources and usage.