Sunday, July 25, 2004

irrelevance: to protest or not

I thought I'd pick up a new blog for the convention coverage, and like the look of Jeralyn Merritt' Talk Left blog. Last night she posed the question: TalkLeft: Should Lefties Protest in Boston?

I've spent a good part of the past two days reading and writing about the "free speech zone" set up in Boston, but I have never asked this question. The reason I haven't is because to me its irrelevant. The real question is: how are we going to treat our fellow citizens who decide to answer that question differently than we do?

I have to say it would never have occurred to me to protest Kerry or Edwards. I was anti-war before the war, but now I'm for cleaning up our mess. There are some things Kerry stands for that I don't care for, but they don't rise to the level of protest-worthy.

Until this tacit acceptance of protest zones. To me, that's worth protesting.