Thursday, May 20, 2004

supporting US in iraq?

I'm at a loss how to answer this IBD/CSM/TIPP poll question:

"General speaking, do you support or oppose the U.S. military action in Iraq?"

If I answer yes, what am I actually saying? That I supported the war in the first place? That I think we're doing a good job there? That Iraq is actually better off because we invaded and because of our efforts?

If I answer no, am I saying I think we should take the Kucinich line and get out right now?

The truth is, none of the above are accurate. I marched my little heart out last year trying to prevent the US invasion. I don't think we've brought any real improvement to Iraq--not without trying but certainly without succeeding. On the other hand, from the moment our troops invaded I've felt a strong sense of responsibility. We have to stay and clean up our mess. Unfortunately, we seem to be staying and making an even bigger mess.

So I guess I'd have to say that, at this moment in time, I oppose the current US actions in Iraq, but I support what they could be. Too bad polls don't allow for such "nuanced" answers. I wonder what the question writer intended?