Saturday, August 07, 2004

dope on polls

Just in time for the serious campaign season, Salon publishes a guide to polls: Court of Public Opinion, by Stephen W. Stromberg.

One comment that caught my attention was Stromberg's observation that Fox News polls, contrary to popular belief, do not have a particularly Republican bias. He quotes Robert Blendon, of Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, saying " The Fox bias that some pollsters allege might come from the way numbers are reported, not gathered." This has been my observation also, looking at the bare numbers on pollingreport.com.

I was disappointed to learn that the Zogby polls, shown on the Wall Street Journal site, are generally considered controversial. Although I'd heard this opinion several years ago, I'd thought the WSJ connection indicated greater reliability. Damn.